Deliverability supports clients with the core function of their email business: delivering email to the client’s inboxes. It’s usually measured as the percentage of emails accepted by the internet service provider (ISP).
While email deliverability is often thought about as the emails you’ve sent that had gotten lost on their way to your customer’s inboxes, it also refers to the inbox placement of that email, be it the inbox, promotions tab, or spam folder.
At first glance, deliverability may seem straightforward. But really, it presents several challenges.
Deliverability can also be viewed as an interface or translator between the various players in the email business. To navigate your emails successfully through the jungle of the World Wide Web and ensure they reach customers’ inboxes, you need to understand all involved parties, goals, and challenges.
On the client side, deliverability plays a pivotal role in supporting the entire customer lifecycle: starting from vetting prospects and supporting pre-sales calls, deliverability does the IP onboarding, warmup, and supports clients in production with inbox support.
On the technical side, deliverability needs to understand ISPs (Internet Service providers). Delivering email simply means following the rules of the ISP. Those are usually checked with different metrics and summarized in a “reputation” value. Blocklists (formerly known as blacklists) usually check list-management practices. This information is played back to the ISPs, or IPs/Domains are blocklisted. And finally, there are technical issues, from time to time, that require “finetuning” between two (or more) communicating mail servers.
Email marketers rely on deliverability to gauge whether their emails are effectively reaching their customers. The deliverability rate, which indicates the percentage of successfully delivered emails, holds huge importance.
Because even if you achieve a 95% deliverability rate, the remaining 5% of recipients will never see your email – and these could be high-value customers. Pair that with an open rate of around 20-30%, and you have to figure out if those emails are even landing in your recipients’ inboxes. But it’s often difficult to get clear answers as to where your emails are going.
Instead, your strategy should be inbox placement – that’s ensuring every subscriber can engage with your emails.
By not addressing the issues above, you could have a low sender reputation. Factors like spam complaints, blacklisting, and authentication issues, contribute to this – and a poor reputation often leads to your emails being filtered to spam folders.
Our Deliverability Team are experts in setting up and monitoring your domains, supporting its clients in 6 languages (English, French, Italian, German, Russian, Chinese) with a huge network built over years. Our team will take you through a swift deliverability audit to ensure your domains will be protected against future phishing attempts, and we distribute a weekly report to our clients while monitoring and reviewing your activity.
If you’re not yet a Mapp customer but need help with your deliverability, learn all about our deliverability services here!